Dodging Davis Dances around the Soos Question

To-Dodge1-400x474Since I was introduced on the radio this morning as the “Buckeye” Blogger, Bea Gardner I guess Bob Soos gave me bragging rights. Yep, Ohio State is officially the number one college football team in the country – my opening to bragging rights about the big win for Ohio State Buckeyes against the Oregon Ducks.

Speaking about big wins – I wonder who the big winner will be for the State House District 54 seat.
Bob Soos questioned Wesley Davis about his intentions about running for that seat as it will be up for grabs in 2016 because Debbie Mayfield will be termed out.

The reason Soos asked Wesley Davis about his intentions is because there was a headline, front page article in 32963 suggesting Davis might want to give Jay Kramer a run for his money for that same seat. The actual Headline in the “63” rag says: Davis, Kramer seen vying for House seat.

Since I try to keep my ear to the ground, my ears really perked up as I listened to the Davis reply. Wesley went on to say to Soos, the voters will be voting in 2 years for that seat whereas the candidates will have to make a decision in the next two weeks for an election that is two years off. Well, I said to myself, that was a pretty good Davis Dance on that question and to my surprise Soos asked the question again. Well, Wesley, will you be making that decision soon? I think the question was a bit too blunt for the Dodging Davis so he answered very shrewdly….not at this point. So, what does “not at this point” mean? Me thinks the Dodging Davis Danced around the question quite easily with that answer.

There is one candidate who is not dodging the question about running for the District 54 House seat and his name is Lange Sykes. Apparently he jumped in quietly sometime in December and he has already amassed about $30,000 in his fundraising efforts. Sykes is a VP for a biotech company and prior to that he sold real estate in Indian River and St. Lucie Counties. He is a champion for finding solutions for cleaning up the Indian River Lagoon.

My question is this. If Wesley Davis does enter this race, will he continue to use his longtime pal Charlie Wilson as his campaign manager and has been the case in his past few races? That would be three strikes against him as far as I am concerned. LOL

But, wait a minute. Guess who the Sykes campaign manager is? Lange Sykes campaign manager is none other than the All Aboard Florida lobbyist, Matt Molar of Front Line Strategies. Hmmm.

Well, as Wesley Davis said on the radio this morning, it is two years away until the public votes on this position and only a few weeks away from having to make a decision to run for the seat in order to start the fundraising efforts. This might get interesting.

And, BTW, Lange Sykes is not the only one out there shaking the bushes. I see that Erin Grall has already jumped into this race too. And, for your information she has an outstanding campaign treasurer in Ed Barenborg.

I thought that Matt Mohler firm is out of town? What is the full name of the business, I could not find anything online?
    He couldn’t get himself elected if I remember, a few years ago.

Joan,

Yes, I remember. Matt Mohler tried to get elected to City Council a few years back and got beat by Ken Daige.

I think the name of his consulting firm is Florida Strategies.

I guess he will always be known in this county as someone who tried to get us all aboard with the AAF, All Aboard Florida. After all, he was or still is a lobbyist for the high speed train that wants to speed thru our county.

I wonder who is managing Erin Grall’s campaign. I hope she has someone who is not too controversial.

I also read where the Bermudez guy has started the ball rolling on the Property Appraisers seat that will be vacated by David Nolte in 2016. Now wait a minute. Do you think the 63 rag got it wrong about Wesley Davis. I thought he was interested in running for Property Appraisor. I feel pretty certain that he could beat this Ruben Bermudez guy and he only has $25.00 in his campaign account so far. OK, where is Tom Dehn when you need him?

I would hope that someone who works near the top for The Property Appraiser would run for his seat. It helps to have some knowledge of the office that you run for. Just like the Clerk, the Sheriff or Supervisor of Elections. We won’t talk about Tax Collector. Of course there have been people elected to office who don’t have a clue as to what it entails.

Since it appears that Lane Sykes has chosen All Aboard Florida LOBBYIST, Matt Molar, does that mean Sykes is for the High speed rail that could be ruining our way of life? As for Davis, everyone knows he wants Nolte’s job. Keep an eye on Bob Salami, the supreme back room wheeler/dealer.

• Mark Schumann says:

I wonder if Matt Mohler persuaded Lange Sykes to run knowing Lange and Jay Kramer will vie for many of the same votes. Let’s just say that Matt, who campaigned door-to-door with with Turner, Howle and company, probably has not pledged his vote to Jay Kramer.

Joan, the actual name of Matt Mohler’s company is Front Line Strategies.

As I recall, Harry Howle paid a lot of money to Front Line Strategies during his campaign. So, they all seem to be in bed together. LOL

And, Cedric…His name is LANGE not Lane. So, I guess we can assume he might be for the AAF.

Yep, you’re right. I think Solari had his cub reporter friend at the 63 rag plant Wesley’s name out there so he could stay under the radar for a while before he jumps in for the kill. It’s all so much fun to speculate at this point.

Right now, my money is on Erin Grall. LOL

Bea, Thanks for the name correction. I am certain all opposed to AAF will be keeping an eye on Lange. I wonder how many votes Howle lost by hiring Matt Molar, who went door to door with him? By hiring Molar he is taking the wrong road, maybe a railroad, to elected office.

8. Curtis Carpenter says:

I’ve heard many great things about Mr. Sykes, however hiring Mohler might have put a nail in the coffin before the birth. That was a very foolish first step.

Mr Sykes does not realize how much AAF is detested here on the Treasure Coast.He will learn the AAF lobbyist will not help him one bit. Having lots of money to spend on a campaign is no guarantee of victory, just ask Harry Howle . Howle had plenty of money supplied to his campaign by outsiders and big money builders. It did not help. Advice to Mr Sykes ,dump the Lobbyist

Sykes is a novice and he probably is impressed with the apparent saavy that seems to be coming from Front Line Freddie.

And, I did not see who donated to the Sykes campaign so we do not yet know where his money will be coming from. Perhaps he loaned his campaign a large amount of money to try to scare others away from the race. After all, it is a race for campaign funds as much as a race for the job itself.

Perhaps Mr Sykes should not try to start his career at this level, but rather at a somewhat lower level of government. I guess he has not followed all that has gone on with the detested AAF, but he should have. If he chooses to go door to door with this lobbyist ,like Harry Howle did he may get the same results.

12. Brendan Burke says:

Just to dispel the rumors going on here . Lange Sykes has been a tireless advocate for the Lagoon he is President of Treasure Coast CCA and has been strongly opposed to All Aboard Florida since the beginning . To think a campaign manager could call the shots for Mr. Sykes is absurd,as Lange Sykes is his own man as you will find out. His campaign is funded from the grass roots of our community ,we are all fortunate to have a candidate of his caliber in the race .

Lobbyists and attorneys seem to be doing quite well financially in Indian River County.

14. Curtis Carpenter says:

I think Mr. Sykes can win this race, and would probably do well as a state rep, IF he cans his knucklehead of a campaign advisor.

15. Brendan Burke says:

My Guess is that you did not approve of my post Bea ,I wonder what you found offensive about my statement . thx Brendan

16. Kai Martin says:

Knowing Lange Sykes and having worked closely with him in the past, I cannot think of a more suitable candidate. He grew up here, as opposed to transplanting himself here, and has long cared for and been involved in what is best for our community…from the health of the lagoon to zoning to trains ruining the quality of our town. He is an educated professional who will not be swayed in his beliefs by a campaign adviser, nor anyone else for that matter. He is his own man and I will proudly support him. It would be a breath of fresh air to elect someone who actually CARES about us and shows concern by his actions and involvement, as opposed to those who run on the WIIFM (what’s in it for me) platform.

Many of us will be out knocking on doors against him if Mr Sykes does not extract the lobbyist Mohler from his campaign.

Why is this comment stream so focused on Mr. Sykes? He might be a fine gentlemen and he might make a good state Representatives, but he is not the only potential candidate in the race. I would also be interested to hear what others think of the strengths and weaknesses and pros and cons of there other potential candidates.

I, personally will oppose any candidate who hires Charlie Wilson or Matt Mohlar, the AAF lobbyist. Mr Sykes may be a good candidate, but who your friends are and what they stand for is important.

Mark,

This stream is focused on Mr. Sykes because he and Erin Grall are the only official candidates to date. To rant about other potential candidates at this time is nothing more than a rant.

That is exactly what was done by 32963 when they floated the Wesley Davis vs Jay Kramer for this seat.

This article is good fodder for all who wish to run for the Dist. 54 seat.

Just think, without this article, perhaps Sykes could have rolled along with his good looks and charismatic personalty for a long time before it was brought out that the All Aboard Florida high speed passenger train is being lobbied to run through our county by Sykes Campaign Manager.

Well said and to the point. We do NOT want AAF or their talking heads in our elections. Look at the money and BS we must put up with when FPL is involved. The fact is, truth is lost in all those twisted,false campaign mailers. We were bombarded with this type of BS in the last local election ,all supplied by Wilson, Howle and Turner. If Sykes is smart he will extract Mohler.

slow news week

Jim, It might be a slow news week but it’s news never the less.

I was going to report on the prayer thing before the school board meetings but I just did not have the stomach for it so….this is what you got from Bea-isms.

To late for Sykes, even if he was able to drop Mohler. He did not do his homework. If he was involved and up to date on local matters he would know local feelings on something so important.
    I’ve crossed him off.

I was just connecting a few dots and here’s what I connected.

Matt Mohler, the AAF guy, went door to door for the Turner and Howle campaign when they ran for City Council…The next dot that I connected was the fact that Bob Solari’s wife was also in the door to door campaign. So, we have Matt Mohler and Mrs. Salami hand in hand during the City Council race.

Ok, here’s the other dot to connect.

It has been widely rumored that Bob Solari had designs on the Dist 54 seat once it is vacated by Deb Mayfield and this is the same race that the Solari’s friend, Matt Mohler is hustling for Lange for that seat.

What does that say? It tells me that Solari is going to pass on District 54 and all that is left to connect is what seat and when will he running for.

The way I am beginning to see it, Matt Mohler might have hit a triple….He could be managing Lange for Dist. 54….Pilar Turner for Solari’s County Commission Seat and Bob Solari for whatever.

Are lobbyists necessarily always “pro” candidate or controversial subject – or are they like professionals who are just good at promoting? I don’t know any lobbyists – unless they are ‘undercover’. I’m curious.

A lobbyist is usually someone who is a well connected person with the politicians so that they can further the cause of their clients. There are lobbyists who do very well because they are so well connected….for instance, Ken Pruitt is one name that comes to mind.

He was a politician of rank and when he was termed out he became a lobbyist. I head that Debbie Mayfield might go that route if she decides not to run for another seat of sorts.

Ladies and gentlemen, Bob Salami will be running for the congressional seat in the next cycle. We can’t let him win this race.

Cedric….That’s what I was thinking.

I say we get behind Erin Grall in the Dist. 54 seat and spend a little time thinking of a great replacement for the Salami.

This reminds me of a few years back…Ralph Poppell ran and lost and then ran again and won. Grall could do the same. Just saying.

I will take a wait and see position until all candidates are in the race. I can’t wait until the ineffective Debbie Dearest is gone from the scene.

Maybe Debbie Dearest will run for a “local” office much like like her predecessors did. Let’s see, sheriff, no, tax collector, probably not. Wait is David Nolte not going to run ? That’s it, she’s going to run for property appraiser.

Cedric….I heard Debbie Dearest, as you call her, might be running for Thad Altman’s seat, State Senate. That’s what they all do…they play musical chairs with what office they will seek next.

33. Brendan Burke says:

Bea- CCA is the Coastal Conservation Association,the objective of CCA is to conserve, promote and enhance the present and future availability of our coastal resources for the benefit and enjoyment of the general public . CCA funded and continues to fund the oyster mat projects that have been implemented in our area of the lagoon with tremendous success. CCA has over 100,000 members nationaly ( every state that touches the ocean ) our Treasure Coast chapter has 330 members .

Thank you Brendan. I am glad to know what CCA is and so will all the bloggers on Bea-isms.

The city lowers the speed limit downtown while keeping my neighborhood street at a posted 30 MPH, and continues to ignore those going 50. Thanks a bunch,city leaders. Posted speed limits mean nothing anyway, when the police are advised to keep rolling so they can have remarkable response time to crimes which have all ready occurred.

36. Brendan Burke says:

Cedric – I completely agree on your sentiments toward AAF ,Howle ,Turner,Wilson,Stradley as I share your view .Lange Sykes actively supported Jay Kramer ,Randy Old, and Jack Shupe in the City Council race .Lange & I were at Dick Wingers house when the first meeting for their run was held & Bea was there as well .This will not be the same campaign antics we have seen in the past at least not from the Sykes campaign. Come up tues night at 6 to Capt.Hirams and meet Lange .We will have a fundraiser there !