Downtown Friday and the Politicians

DTFDowntown Friday took on a festive look from beginning to end. The main attraction was the presence of myself, Bev Paris and Donna Roberts Mitchell because it was….drum roll please – the 20th anniversary of this wonderful street party/community event.  I remember calling Donna and Bev and asked them if they would like to help me with a fundraiser event that I was rolling around in my mind and from the very first meeting that was held clandestine in the back room of my shop, Encore Furniture, we were a team. We spent the next 8 or 9 months in the planning stages of the event and we opened the event in October 1994 with a bang.

We hired Gary Roland and his Landshark’s band to play at the inaugural event and true to form, Main Street of Vero Beach, the sponsors of the event, brought the Landshark’s  back for the 20th Anniversary. It was a magical moment for Vero Beach and Main Street was lined with locals who were just out for a good time. And, you should have seen the costumes as people decked themselves out for the best costume contest. Thank you Joe McMennamin, for being there all these years, not only as a volunteer of the event for all these years, but who now chairs the event. Joe and his co-chair Bernadette did a great job in putting this anniversary event together. Kudos to them.

Back in 1995 I did a mixed media painting of the  street scene and I was happy to display my painting  in  the Main Street Booth. For those of you who did not see it at the event – well

flipped pix

Now, getting back to Bea-isms with regards to the Downtown Friday event. Being that this party was taking place just days before the election brought out the politicians and their handlers in big numbers. Most of them were hanging around the Republican Booth and smiling and glad handing the crowd and oohing and aahing at the cute little babies in costume. Let’s just put it this way, they were playing the crowd.

IMG_20141031_182048The OLD couple (pictured) had a complete 60’s look. He, in his randy “hippy hairdo” and she in her just landed on the moon space cadet look. They certainly were enjoying the crowd and not a sign of who they were. But, I was fortunate enough to get my picture taken with them. LOL If you click on this picture or any picture posted on Bea -isms it will open up to a larger size. Try it.

I guess the Shupe did not think the event worthy of his presence because I was not able to spot him on the Street. I did see and talk to Deb Mayfield – she sure does understand the art of campaigning and Jay Kramer was having a ball working the Republican Booth while his wife did most of his last minute campaigning with the crowd. Pilar Turner and her hubby were there but a little on the low key side as well as Harry Howle.  Harry Carrie and I spoke for a few minutes and he was quick to say….”you know Bea, you can’t believe everything you read on the internet”. I really enjoyed his response and found it to be humorous.

Jim Hill, candidate from Sebastian, took a moment to introduce me to Amy Red, his sweetheart de jour while I watched Carmon Noonan giving out Bill Posey balloons to a group of children.  Other’s on hand were Bob Russell for Mosquito Control and Laura Ross for Hospital District. Brian Heady, in his famous patriotic tee shirt, didn’t have much to say. Actually, this might be the most laid back I have ever seen him as a candidate.   And, let us not forget the Hanky Panky guy who wears a Joe Flescher tee shirt everywhere he goes.

All in all it was a fun night and by the time I got home and read Mark Schumann’s latest article exposing a lot of the campaign contributions, I was too tired to read it thoroughly so I will post it here for all to see.    http://insidevero.com/2014/10/31/does-stuart-based-straticon-hope-to-build-high-rise-development-in-vero-beach/

According to the Inside Vero article, It is beginning to look like a lot of outside developer money has finally hit the fan in Vero politics. Read the article in its entirety and feel free to comment on this site with regards to what you are reading. I guess now we know why it is important to Pilar Turner to “liberate” the land……Can you say – DEVELOP. And, of course, Harry Howle is right behind her.

Oh one more thing, the bookies were hard at work last night taking the odds on who will win the Vero Beach City Council Election. Here’s what the “bookies” are saying. Randy Old and Jay Kramer will battle it out to be the  1st and 2nd highest vote getter’s and the next five candidates will battle it out for the third seat with Pilar Turner eking out a win. That is what the odds makers are saying.

Bea, Harry Howle, III, is completely correct that, “you can’t believe everything you read on the Internet,” starting with the claims he makes on his campaign website. Selling Vero Electric, Howle claims, is as easy as one, two three. IN fact, he has a simple three-step plan.

HARRY HOWLE’S 3 STEP PLAN TO SELL VERO’S ELECTRIC SYSTEM:
    • Unify our community towards a common goal
    • Make the FMPA release us from our contracts
    • Listen to Vero residents and sell the Electric System to FPL

It is no longer accurate to refer to Howle, Turner and Wilson as representatives of the ‘pro-sale” crowd, for there can be no sale. Given the impossibility of a sale, pr-sale advocates have become about as relevant as the “anti-gravity” crowd. Howle is living in pure fantasy and is at war with reality.

• Joan says:

Like it’s been said before, one can say anything to get elected.
      Just how are we going to force FMPA to release us from the contracts.
      They did listen and try to sell and 2million later we are nowhere.
      And coming together as a community…….are you going to ask the County and Indian River shores to pretty please drop your law suit?
      Howle is in a fantasy world, true.

We had a good time handing out treats to the little ghouls and goblins who stepped up to our door last night. Thanks for the report on the Downtown Friday 20th Anniversary Bash. Sounds (and looks) like you all had a swell time. Thank you for being one who got the DF started, Bea.

After all we have been through, a Turner victory could still happen. And if, in fact, it does, my faith in the people of this city will be forever broken.

• Bea-isms says:

Jim, I hope you are not disappointed. But, the ads that are coming on the air makes Charlie Wilson, Turner and Howle look like saints. They have even had the gall to say they will be the only ones on the ballot who will keep Vero Vero. Wow.

4. Curtis Carpenter says:

Here’s how it’s going to go down:

There are going to be 5,889 voters. There will be 13,055 votes.

Randy Old – 2,385

Jay Kramer – 2,330

Pilar Turner – 2,100

Harry Howle – 2,050

Jack Shupe – 1,780

Charlie Wilson – 1,500

Brian Heady – 910

Trust me, I’d like things to go a little differently, but I’m very confident in those numbers.

• Joan says:

I love you numbers, I just hope that third place and fourth are backwards.

• Woodburner says:

With Old and Kramer surely in, and Turner making it as the third, how long do you think she will stay? She will be the lone dissenter on most issues. ANTI___ (fill in the blank). My word for that blank is VERO. It will be a moot point. Oh! I forgot! She will still be getting her healthcare. Will that be enough for her to stay on as an ineffective member of council? Jack Schupe…eh, I wish I would have seen more of him and less of the AAF kiss of death given crew.

• Bea-isms says:

Woodburner, she will stay for the duration, she will continue to be Anti Vero however, she will spend her last term on council preparing to run for County Commissioner to replace the Salami. The name of the game is to keep your name out there. Doesn’t matter what she does, just that she is – if you get my gist.

Agreed, Joan. Turner knows enough to be dangerous. Howle does not.

Curtis,I think it is quite possible that Turmer will not finish in third place in this race because of all the issues she has voted on or spoke out against.

(1) received campaign cash from developers ,one of which builds casinos and high-rises
    (2) Campaigned door to door with the ALL ABOARD FLORIDA LOBBYIST
    (3) Wanted to get electric bill payers to pay FPL $26,000,000, but couldn’t pull it off
    (4) brought in a buyer for CRESTLAWN CEMETERY,and this is one reason for the
    referendum
    (5)Tried to sell the dog park and failed, another reason for the referendum
    (5) voted “NO” to fight SHORT TERM RENTALS
    (6) she wants to sell the very profitable WATER and SEWER SYSTEM to her county friends, at a severe loss of income to the city
    (7) Voted against an ENTERPRISE ZONE
    (8) Sides with INDIAN RIVER SHORES AND THE COUNTY IN THEIR LAWSUIT AGAINST THE CITY
    (9) she has missed at least 5 FMPA meetings to which she is our representative and has single handedly created a hostile attitude with this group
    (10) Tried to get rid of the dog catcher position

There are several more I could list,but after all of these is it really necessary?

• Joan says:

Makes you wonder why she even moved to Vero Beach, let alone run for council.

• Curtis Carpenter says:

Trust me Cedric, I don’t want Pilar holding that third seat. However, a lot of people actually agree with her. It’s amazing to me.

Also, just so you don’t think I’m making these numbers up, I nailed all 6 candidates’ finishing positions last year in which 3 of the candidates fell within 53 votes of my individual predictions. I also estimated there would be 5,683 votes cast. I was off by 3. There were 5,680.

Now, I haven’t followed this election as closely as I did last years, but I’m pretty confident in how this is going to turn out. The wild-card here is Jack Shupe. I’m not sure how well he was able to attach himself to Mr. Kramer and Mr. Old, but I personally don’t think he did enough. We’ll know in a little over 48 hours…

So, who’s your third choice Cedric. Will it be Shupe, Turner, Howle, Wilson, Heddy,

I think if it were me I would vote for Old and Kramer and under vote on the third vote and let the five of them fight it out. Just saying

Heddy can’t win, I am not sure if Wilson can serve if elected (think Dian George). If people read and think about Howle’s developers campaign cash, they won’t vote for him either. If he thinks he can bully FMPA he is dreaming. I personally will not vote for anyone who takes developers campaign money . So who does that leave?

9. Woodburner says:

The information that comes out late in the races is a huge reason to discontinue the early voting!

• Bea-isms says:

I agree Woodburner. I agree.

• Curtis Carpenter says:

We already have a low voter turnout in the first place, why would you discourage early voting? I would only agree with that if you made Election Day on a Saturday or made the first Tuesday of November a National Holiday.

• Bea-isms says:

There would be much more hype about voting if it were on one day. I was kind of exciting to have to wait in a line and chat with neighbors and friends while waiting to vote. More synergy and more meaningful when there was a day to vote….now it is dragged out to the point that voting day is anticlimactic.

More people found the time to vote in that manner than this new dragged out manner. I would love to see it get back to one day….and yes, it should be a holiday so that everyone is encouraged to vote.

• Joan says:

If Election Day was made a national holiday everybody would be at the beach or whatever but not at the polls.
        I voted early for the first time, I too never like to vote early because you never know what will come out about a candidate, it took 5 minutes if that.
        Why will people register and never vote?

Did you happen to read “wonderer’s” comments on TCPalm.com? Charlie Wilson claims he is not “wonderer” — yet another Wilson claim that is difficult to believe.

Yes, Mark…I remember one time he sent me an e-mail saying he was not the wanderer…..notice the a not an o. So, if he claims he is not the wanderer that might make him truthful so doesn’t have to admit to wonderer. LOL

Check out this comment Wilson posted on TCPalm.com under his own name. Wilson makes no apologies for accepting more than 80 percent of his contributions from special interests outside Vero Beach, and he offers no explanation for why a Stuart developer would contribute $1,000 each to the campaigns of Wilson, Harry Howle, III and Pilar Turner.

Wilson goes on to claim Vero Beach must sell its electric utility if the city to survive as an independent municipality. Ironically, it is Wilson, Turner and Howle who promise to pursue policies likely to lead to bankruptcy for the City.

The icing on the cake, though, is Wilson’s claim he is within 100 votes of winning a seat on the city council. The available data suggests Wilson will come in sixth out of a field of seven. Given the significant help he has received from Florida Power & Light, the George E. Warren Corporation, The Hill Group, the Indian River County Board of Realtors, the Treasure Coast Builders Association, a Stuart developer (Straticon) and Indian River County Commissioner Wesley David, it has got to be a huge disappointment to all of them that when the dust settles Wilson will be left addressing the council during public comment time rather than taking a seat at the dais.

mediaartsgroup23 Minutes Ago
    Good wrap up by Lamaur. One note. What I said was that there are three candidates turner Wilson and Howle to get us out of the FMPA and sometimes Brian. That’s really more like three and a half than four.

Those representing unions and other special interests are desperatly trying to convince people it can’t happen likely because they know it can and would have already been done if people had not been deceived by these same people who are trying to deceive they yet again.

Jay Kramers efforts for special interests can be reversed by replacing kramer with Wilson.

It is likely that this election will be decided by less than 100 votes. It is up to you if you want freedom and permanently lower rates or if you will allow jay kramer and friends to put the nail in the coffin for Vero Beach.

The hammer,nails,screwdrivers to the disincorporation to the the city of Vero are Pilar Turner,Charlie Wilson, Harry Howle, Bob Solari and a whole bunch of developers who don’t like city ordinances because they are strict, but want the WEAKER COUNTY ORDINANCES in their place. BUILD MORE AND BUILD HIGHER.
    It was never truly about lower electric rates, but BUILD,BUILD, BUILD.
    FOLLOW THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is imperative to get out the vote.

The OK’S…..Randy Old, Jay Kramer and Jack Shupe need to get on the phone and disquiet the crap that is being spewed on these last few days before an election.

Go for it guys. This is the last chance you will have to win and you must win….

It Curtis is right….then there are five candidates vying for the third position on the council.

Get busy Jack Shupe. It’s all up to you.

Curtis, I think Charlie Wilson will be removed from office once again ,if elected. Same reason as last time. I do not think he will be elected this time around because of his
    mudslinging, name calling, and all around Nasty behavior at council meetings. He gets under everyone’s skin except for his close hangers on.

16. Curtis Carpenter says: